Who We Are
The museum, Brooks Memorial Art Gallery, opened in 1916. The League founded in 1933 by then Gallery Director, Mrs. Louise Clark, along with Mrs. Francis Andrews, and Mrs. William Halliday, Sr. chose the name Brooks Memorial Auxiliary to reflect the close relationship with the museum. As the museum’s name evolved so did the League’s name: Memorial League, Art Gallery League, to finally in 1985 Brooks Museum League. The close working relationship with the Museum has remained unchanged during these eighty plus years.
The objectives of the League are to promote education in the fine arts and to support the projects and programs of the Memphis Brooks Museum of Art.